Effective date: July 14th, 2020
At Sherpa Prep we respect your privacy and are committed to protecting it.
This policy describes the types of information we collect about you when you purchase and enroll in
courses offered by Sherpa Prep, when you access and use sherpaprep.com and other websites on which
this policy is posted, when you download, install, or use any of our mobile apps, desktop applications,
or other online service on which this policy is posted (collectively, the “Services”) along with our
practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
If in any case our privacy practices differ from those explained in this policy, we will let you know at the time
we ask for or collect your information.
This policy does not apply to information that we collect about you offline including when you
telephone us to sign up for our services.
2. What information we may collect about you
We collect the following types of information from you and may have collected such information
- Contact information includes your name, mailing or delivery address, email address,
telephone number, or similar contact information.
- Unique identifiers include an online identifier, IP address, mobile device identifiers, username,
voice or video recordings, or similar identifier.
- Financial information includes your billing address, and other payment-related information.
- Commercial information includes details of our products and services (including apps) that
you have purchased, obtained, or considered.
- Internet or other similar network activity includes your browsing history, search history,
and information about your interactions with our websites, applications, or advertisements.
- Technical information includes your internet protocol (IP) address, your login data, browser
type and version, time zone setting, location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating
system and platform, and other technology on the devices you use to access the Services.
- Profile information includes your username and password, purchases or orders made by you,
your interests, preferences, feedback, product reviews, survey responses, and other similar
- Usage information includes information about how you use our websites, apps, products, and
- Marketing and communications information includes your preferences in receiving
marketing from us and your communication preferences.
- Inferences drawn from other information we collect about you.
Some of the information we collect about you may be personal information, or personal data, that can
be used to identify you including, for example, your name, email address, mailing address or delivery
address. In some jurisdictions, certain unique identifiers like IP addresses and other usage or technical
information may be considered personal information. It does not include data where your identity has
been removed so that we can no longer identify you (anonymous data), which we may use for any
3. Children’s online privacy
We do not direct our websites or services to minors, and we do not knowingly collect personal
information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information through
the Services. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 16
without appropriate consent, we will delete it. If you believe might have any information from or about
a child under 13 please contact us at email@example.com
4. How we collect your information
We collect information from you in different ways and from different places. Here are ways we collect
- You provide it to us directly. You may give us information about you by filling in forms or
by communicating with us by text, e-mail, or otherwise. This includes information you provide
when you create an account, purchase and use our products and services, enroll in our courses,
register for classes and office hours, complete a survey, provide feedback, report a problem
with our Services, or when you contact us about our Services. In some cases, you may provide
information to be published or displayed (“posted”) on public areas of our Services or
transmitted to others.
- We automatically use technology from our websites, applications, and emails. As you
interact with our Services, we may automatically collect technical data about your equipment,
browsing actions and patterns as specified above. We collect this information by using cookies,
server logs, web beacons, and other similar technologies (see Cookies and Automatic Data
- From other places. We may receive information about you from other companies and
individuals including, for example, business partners, subcontractors, advertising networks,
social network platforms, analytics providers, and service providers. We may record and film
all or any part of our live online courses hosted by our third-party service provider and we also
may receive information about you from other users if, for example another user purchases one
of our courses on your behalf or provides us your email address to receive a discount.
6. How we use your information
We use information to provide you with products, offer you services, communicate with you, deliver
advertising and marketing, or to conduct other business operations, such as using information to
improve and personalize your experiences. Examples of how we may use the information we collect
- Enroll you in one of our courses.
- Send you products or to provide you with services that you have ordered, including to process
payments and provide you updates about the status of your order. For example, we will use
your information to send you course materials for courses that you have signed up for.
- Manage our relationship with you which may include notifying you about changes to our
account, asking you to provide feedback or take a survey, or addressing any concerns you may
have about our products or services.
- Deliver relevant content, advertisements, and messaging to you and to measure or understand
the effectiveness of such content, advertisements, and messaging.
- To respond to your requests or to fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- Use data analytics to improve our Services, products or services, marketing, customer
relationships, and experiences.
- Enable your participation in our Services’ interactive, social media or other similar features.
- Make suggestions and recommendations to you about our own and third-parties’ products or
services that may be of interest to you. If you do not want us to use your information in this
way, please see Your Rights and Choices.
- Carry out our obligations and enforce our rights.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- Use for any other purpose with your consent.
We may use your information that is not personal information, that is, that does not identify you, for
any purpose. For example, we may aggregate usage data from many people in a way that does not
identify any individuals to calculate the percentage of users accessing a feature on the Services.
7. Disclosure of your information
We may share information that does not identify any individual without restriction.
We may disclose information that we collect, or you provide:
- To our contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business and
who are obligated to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purpose for
which we disclose it to them.
- With your consent.
- For any other purposes that we disclose when you provide the information.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it.
- To an actual or prospective buyer or other successor in the event of merger, divestiture,
restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets,
where one of the transferred assets is the personal information we hold.
We may also disclose information to third parties:
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including responding to any government
or regulatory request.
- To protect the rights, property, or safety of our business, our employees, our customers, or
others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the
purposes of cybersecurity, fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- To investigate suspected violations of any law, rule or regulation, or the terms or policies for
8. Interest-based advertising
Some content or applications, including advertisements, on our Services are served by third parties,
including advertisers, ad networks, and servers, content partners, or application providers. These third
collect information about you when you use our Services. The information they collect may be
associated with your personal information or they may collect information, including personal
information, about your online activities over time and across different websites and other online
services. They may use this information to provide you with interest-based (behavioral) advertising or
other targeted content.
Our partners may use non-cookie technologies on which browser settings that block cookies might have
no effect. Your browser may not permit you to block such technologies. For this reason, keep in mind
that you can block the collection and use of information related to you by advertising companies for the
purpose of serving interest-based advertising by visiting the following platforms of self-regulatory
programs of which those companies are members:
9. Third-party links
Our Services may include links to third-party websites, plug-ins, services, social networks or
applications, which we do not control, including the following:
- Plugins. Our websites may make available the option for you to use “plugins” that are
operated by social media companies. If you choose to use one of these plugins, then it may
collect information about you and send it back to the social media company that owns it.
This may happen even if you do not click on the plugin, if you are logged into the social
media website that owns the plugin when you visit our website. Information collected by a
it. If you do not want the social media company who owns a plugin to collect information
about you when you visit our websites, sign out of the social media network before visiting.
By interacting with a plugin when you are on our websites (for example, clicking the
Facebook “Like” button), you are intentionally transferring information to that social media
company. Further, if you are logged into a social media website when you visit our
websites, then you are directing us to share your data with the social media company that
owns the plugin.
- User Content. Our Services may allow you to upload your own content to public areas of
the website. Any information you submit becomes public information, and we do not
control how others may use the content you submit. We are not responsible for uses that
- Third-party links. Our Services may contain links to other sites, which we do not control.
Those websites have their own privacy policies and terms.
10. Your rights and choices
Your rights may vary depending on where you are located. We have created mechanisms to provide
you with the following control over your information:
- Marketing. If you do not want us to use your email address or other contact information to
promote or recommend our own products and services, or third parties’ products or services,
you can opt-out by replying to any promotional email we have sent you or following the
unsubscribe link or link to update your preferences on that message. You may also adjust your
preferences by contacting us as set forth below in the Contact Us section. This opt-out may not
apply to information provided to us as a result of a product purchase, warranty registration,
product service experience or other transactions.
- Accessing, updating and deleting your information. If you have an account with us, you may
have the ability to access your information and make updates to or delete your data. If not, you
can contact us as set forth in the Contact Us section below to request access to, correction of,
or deletion of personal information that you have provided to us. We may not accommodate a
request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal
requirement or negatively affect the information’s accuracy.
- Cookies and automatic data collection technologies. You can set your browser to refuse all
or some browser cookies, or to alert you when websites set or access cookies. Flash cookies are
not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies. To learn how you
can manage your Flash cookie settings, visit the Flash player settings page on Adobe’s website.
become inaccessible or not function properly. In some cases, you may be able to set your
browser or email program to not download web beacons.
- Interest Based Advertising. Please see Interest Based Advertising above for information on
how to opt-out of interest-based advertising.
- California Residents. If you are a California resident, you may have additional personal rights
and choices with regard to your personal information. Please see California Privacy Rights for more information.
- Nevada Residents. If you are a Nevada resident, you may have additional personal rights and
choices with regard to your personal information. Please see our Nevada Privacy Rights section below for more information.
11. Data security
The security of your information is very important to us. We use physical, electronic, and administrative
safeguards designed to protect your information from loss, misuse and unauthorized access, use,
alteration or disclosure.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where
you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Services, you are responsible for keeping
this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
12. California privacy rights
California’s “Shine the Light” law (Civil Code Section § 1798.83) permits users of our Services that
are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information
to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. We do not currently engage in this type of disclosure.
The California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (CCPA) grants new rights to California consumers
regarding their personal information and imposes various requirements on certain businesses
conducting business in California. Currently, the CCPA does not apply to our business. If this changes
in the future, we will update this section in our privacy notice.
13. Nevada privacy rights
Nevada residents have the right to opt out of the sale of certain "covered information" collected by
operators of websites or online services. We currently do not sell covered information, as "sale" is
defined by such law, and we don't have plans to sell this information.
alter how we use or treat your information we will notify you by email to the primary email address
specified in your account and/or through a notice on posted in our application or on the home page of